2022 Acquisitions Institute at Timberline Lodge
Saturday, May 21 - Tuesday, May 24, 2022
One hour east of Portland, Oregon on the slope of Mt. Hood
Call for Proposals - Applications due December 31, 2021
WHAT IS The Acquisitions Institute?
- Since 2000, the pre-eminent conference located in Western North America on acquisitions and collection development, held at Timberline Lodge.
- A three-day conference focusing on the methods and innovation of building and managing library collections.
- A small (capped at 80 attendees), informal and stimulating gathering in a convivial and glorious Pacific Northwest setting.
WHAT TOPICS are we looking for?
The planning committee is seeking submissions on all aspects of library acquisitions and collection management. Presenters are encouraged to engage the audience in discussion, whether the presentation leans more toward the practical "here's what we did" sessions or toward the more abstract "here's what we think" sessions. The committee may also seek to achieve balance in the program by bringing individual proposals together to form panels, or by recommending that a proposal be converted to a table talk. We invite you to indicate whether or not you'd be interested in these opportunities on the submission proposal form.
Topics we and/or prior year's attendees are interested in include (in no particular order):
- Collections analysis projects (e.g., GreenGlass or Gold Rush experiences, altmetrics, etc.)
- Assessment tools, methods, and projects (e.g., linking collections with learning outcomes; usage studies)
- Managing liaison programs
- Public library and/or small academic library perspectives in acquisitions and collection development
- New models for selection
- Sustainable models for publishing/pricing
- Effective management of collections with constrained resources
- Vendor and publisher evaluation, including business skills to determine financial viability
- Diversity, inclusion and social justice in acquisitions and collections
- Negotiation skills and how to use them, including during library-vendor and library-publisher meetings
- Innovative vendor-librarian relationships and/or partnerships
- Staffing, training and development, and recruiting issues, challenges, successes (e.g., onboarding new acquisitions and/or collections staff)
- Using data visualization techniques to tell our stories (e.g., budget, collections, staff successes, etc.)
- Impacts of Open Access and Open Repositories on acquisitions and collection development
- Data curation, including Big Data, and management and other new roles for subject and technical services librarians
- Digital scholarship
The DEADLINE for submitting a proposal is December 31, 2021.
Proposal submission form: http://acquisitionsinstitute.
In the interest of keeping everyone safe, the Institute will adhere to local, state, and federal health and safety protocols related to COVID-19. More detailed information about these protocols will be shared as the event approaches.
Fri 12/31/21: Proposals due
Mon 1/17/22: Review of proposals complete, and presenters notified
Fri 1/21/22: Presenters confirm commitment to present
Mon 2/7/22: Registration scheduled to open
The 2022 Acquisitions Institute at Timberline Lodge Planning Committee is:
Damon Campbell, University of Oregon
Kristina DeShazo, Oregon Health & Science University
Kerri Goergen-Doll, Oregon State University
Jamie Hazlitt, Loyola Marymount University
Kathleen Spring, Librarian at Large
Kasia Stasik, Harrassowitz