Call for Proposals (Deadline )
( ) - ( ), 2016
Kelvin Smith Library, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
Proposals are now being accepted for the 2nd National Personal Librarian & First Year Experience Library Conference, a 2-day event focused on all aspects of the first year experience and the personalization of outreach and services for incoming students. The conference will be hosted by Kelvin Smith Library at Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland, Ohio).
The conference will focus on starting library initiatives to support first year students, assessing outcomes of services and resources, and building the collaborative relationships throughout the organization to prepare a holistic approach to student success and retention.
The 2 days will feature 1-2 keynotes and/or panel discussions, surrounded by a number of concurrent sessions organized around proposed tracks of interest. Participants are welcomed from all types of organizations and levels of staffing. Programming will be offered to improve established programs or prepare for a new initiative.
We are accepting proposals for concurrent sessions organized by tracks, panel discussions, and poster presentations. We welcome all proposals for consideration, but are particularly interested in sessions that consider:
- How to measure impact & success; assessment methods
- Relationship building (internal & external to the library)
- The “future” and next generation programs
- Focus on international students
- Focus on underserved communities or at risk communities
- Transition to 2nd year support
- "Personal Librarian” services such as direct interactions, custom experiences, etc.
- Starting new programs or initiatives
- Views and goals of campus administrators
- Student stories & testimonies
- Staffing models
- Overall role within a larger information literacy instruction program
- Events, programs, orientations, etc.
- Challenges & concerns
- Marketing & communication
- Diversity issues and approaches
- Developing relationship with parents
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES & SELECTION CRITERIA
- Concurrent sessions: 45 minutes
- Could include hands-on activities, case studies, white papers, demonstrations, and/or panel presentations.
- Panel discussions: 90 minutes
- Focused on a larger topic that requires perspective from multiple people and/or organizations.
- Would also typically include 10-15 minutes for questions and answers.
- Could include case studies, white papers, or demonstrations.
- A few slots will be available for digital posters or demonstrations using Mondopads or classroom technologies.
SUBMISSIONS MUST INCLUDE:
- Proposed session title
- Presenters’ names, titles, and affiliations
- Brief abstract (750 characters, approximately 150 words) that would be acceptable for the conference program and website
- Longer description (2500 characters, approximately 500 words)
- Brief statement on learning outcomes & expected audience
- Technology, physical space, or other requirements
Registration costs will be the responsibility of each attendees and presenters, and will not be covered by the conference organizers.
SUBMIT PROPOSALS BY
Web Form: http://goo.gl/forms/pfMYFJHW7S
Email questions to Brian Gray: firstname.lastname@example.org
IMPORTANT FUTURE DATES (Tentative)
- : Proposal submission deadline
- Early/Mid-February: Attendee registration opens
- Mid- February: Notification of proposal acceptance
- Late February: Selected presenters must confirm participation and details
- End of February: Formal program announced
- End of March: Registration deadline for all attendees
Brian C. Gray
Team Leader, Research Services
Librarian: Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering and Macromolecular Science & Engineering
Kelvin Smith Library 201-K
Research Guides & Profile: http://researchguides.case.
Case Western Reserve University
Kelvin Smith Library
11055 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7151
Phone: (216) 368-8685
Fax: (216) 368-3669
2015-16 ALAO President: http://alaoweb.org/