Tuesday, March 26, 2019

CFP: Endnotes: The Journal of the New Members Round Table (ALA)

The NMRT Endnotes Committee seeks contributors for the Spring 2019 issue of Endnotes: The Journal of the New Members Round Table. Endnotes is a peer-reviewed, scholarly journal that publishes articles of interest to early career librarians (including LIS students, recent graduates and newer members of the Association).

Current LIS students and recent graduates are particularly encouraged to submit manuscripts for consideration.

Why should I publish?
Publishing with Endnotes is an accessible way for any early career librarian (including LIS students, recent graduates, and newer members of the Association) to gain experience publishing in a peer-reviewed, scholarly journal.


  • [W]hile seeking my MLIS… [a] professor offered to take a class paper and co-author with myself and my group partner. This experience has not only informed my professional and publishing career as an Academic Librarian but gave me confidence to apply for jobs with scholarly research expectations. – Tina Budzise-Weaver, published in Endnotes 2016
  • This has been such a great experience for me. You have all been extremely helpful and encouraging. I appreciate all the time you have taken to read my work and all the feedback you have given. I am sure it will help me throughout my professional career. I will definitely recommend this to everyone I meet looking for a way to begin pursuing publication in the LIS field! - Brady Lund, published in Endnotes 2017
  • [B]eing able to publish my first article while still in graduate school was an unbelievable confidence booster. To go through the process of peer review, and to feel so supported by the editorial staff, makes me want to continue to publish for the rest of my career.. - Kim Myers, published in Endnotes 2016


Should I submit my article to Endnotes?
Articles should range from 2,000 – 4,000 words and be relevant to LIS students and new library professionals. Endnotes welcomes research papers, technical papers, conceptual papers, case studies, and literature reviews (more information on these types is available in our complete submission guidelines).

Those interested in discussing an article idea are encouraged to contact the Editors at nmrtendnotesjournal@gmail.com to determine if the proposal fits the publication’s scope. Topics that might be appropriate for Endnotes include, but are not limited to:
• Training and mentoring
• Job searching or hiring
• Developing leadership and management skills
• Library instruction and assessment
• Librarian responsibilities: hiring, promotion, and tenure
• Developing new collections or services

Current LIS students and recent graduates may find inspiration by reading “Upcycling MSLS Coursework into Publishable Content”, a 2014 Endnotes article. The Endnote Editors are also glad to provide mentorship and support for your article development process.

How do I submit my article to Endnotes?
You simply send your submission to the Endnote Editors at nmrtendnotesjournal@gmail.com. Submissions are accepted throughout the year, but articles received by April 5, 2019 will receive guaranteed consideration for the Spring 2019 issue.

Is there something shorter than an article I can write?
Endnotes also publishes reviews for books or websites. Interested reviewers can submit a book or
website review to the Endnote Editors at nmrtendnotesjournal@gmail.com no later than April 5,
2019.

For more information about Endnotes, including complete submission guidelines & previous issues,
please visit ala.org/rt/nmrt/about-endnotes-committee. Please feel free to contact Endnotes Editors with any questions.

Sincerely,
Megan P. Smith & Kim Looby
Chairs, NMRT Endnotes Committee
nmrtendnotesjournal@gmail.com