Knowledge Management (KM) Section Satellite Conference
IFLA World Library and Information Congress
82nd IFLA General Conference and Assembly
August 13-19, 2016,
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Theme: Sharing Practices and Actions for Making Best Use of Organizational Knowledge in Libraries
Date: Friday, August 12, 2016
Venue: Langsam Library, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Organizer: Knowledge Management Section
Primary Contact: Spencer Acadia, Program Chair, AcadiaS1@gmail.com
This one-day Satellite Conference will focus on organizational knowledge in all varieties of libraries and information centers with particular attention to best practices and activities for optimal dissemination and use. With a global interest inmind, this Satellite Conference will aim to provide a thoughtful and engaging discussion about an array of worldwide issues regarding the organization of knowledge within library and information settings.
Some examples of possible topics:
· Best practices for advisory committees
· Building leadership from within
· Capturing the organizational knowledge and making it available for reuse
· Developing successful mentoring and job-shadowing programs
· Developing better workflows
· Innovative use for staff blogs and intranets
· Research data services
· Supporting and funding staff/student innovation
Librarians, information specialists and professionals, knowledge managers, researchers, and others interested in knowledge management are invited to submit paper proposals on these topics or similar topics pertaining to the centraltheme of the conference.
The KM Section welcomes case studies and theoretical papers from different contexts (e.g., different types of libraries, information organizations, cultural institutions, and public and private sector institutions).
Submissions & Selection Process
If you are interested in submitting a proposal, please provide the following in English:
· Name(s) and affiliation(s) of author(s)/presenter(s)
· Proposed title of the paper
· Proposed abstract of the paper (no more than 500 words)
· Brief biographical information of all author(s)/presenter(s)
· Contact information, including email, of all author(s)/presenter(s)
The deadline for proposals is February 1, 2016. Email proposals in .docx of .pdf format to Spencer Acadia, Program Chair, AcadiaS1@gmail.com.
All proposals will be reviewed by four members of the IFLA KM Satellite Conference Organizing Committee. Selection will be based on proposal content and fit to the conference theme. Proposal authors will be notified via email on March15, 2016.
Authors should submit proposals only if they are able to attend the Satellite Conference. At least one author for each accepted paper MUST attend the Satellite Conference to deliver a presentation. This requirement ensures that the author(s)of the papers and attendees of the Satellite Conference have the opportunity to engage in thoughtful discussion with colleagues about the presentations and other KM topics, leading to a more robust professional experience.
The deadline for final papers is June 1, 2016. Papers should be original work written in English, not published elsewhere, and should be no longer than 15 double-spaced pages using a standard 12-point font. Authors will be required topresent their papers at the IFLA KM Satellite Conference. Use of PowerPoint or other visual program is encouraged for benefit of the entire audience. The official language of the Satellite Conference, including presentations, is English.
In accordance with IFLA’s Open Access Statement, all papers presented at the Satellite Conference will be available under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported (CC BY 3.0) license. Authors of accepted papers will need to signIFLA’s author form upon notification. Papers and presentations will be made available through the IFLA website.
- February 1, 2016 - Deadline for submission of paper proposals (No proposals can be accepted after this date!)
- March 15, 2016 - Notification to authors by email
- June 1, 2016 - Deadline for submission of final paper (No papers can be accepted after this date!)
- July 15, 2016 - Deadline for Satellite Conference free registration (all presenters and participants are required to register)
- August 12, 2016 - Satellite Conference in Cincinnati, OH, USA
- August 13, 2016 - Main IFLA Conference begins in Columbus, OH, USA
For questions about the Call for Papers, please contact Spencer Acadia, Program Chair,
Additional information about the IFLA Knowledge Management (KM) Section can be found online via the following:
All expenses are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA or the IFLA KM Section. The Satellite Conference is free of charge, but registration is still required. Lunch and possibly otherrefreshments on the day of the Satellite Conference will be provided.
Jennifer A. Bartlett * Head of Reference Services & The Hub at W.T.'s
Academic Liaison for English, Linguistics, ESL and WRD
University of Kentucky Libraries * 2-22 William T. Young Library
Lexington, KY 40506-0456 * 859-218-1236
firstname.lastname@example.org * http://works.bepress.com/jenbartlett