|An exciting opportunity - The Electronic Library Call for Editor|
The Electronic Library: The international journal for the application of technology in information environments
Emerald Group Publishing Limited is inviting applications for the position of Editor of The Electronic Library. This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious and focused individual with solid editorial experience to edit an exciting journal in Emerald's Library and Information Science portfolio.
About The Electronic Library
The Electronic Library is devoted to the applications and implications of new technology, automation, digitisation, the Internet, user interfaces, and networks in all types of libraries, information centres and museums throughout the world as well as the development of software and hardware for such applications. It provides a vehicle for the latest research and ongoing developments in today's digital library and information environments in different countries, and offers practical advice, useful information and descriptions of specific applications around the globe. Papers submitted to the journal are subject to double blind peer review to ensure academic rigor and integrity and the journal is Thomson Reuters ISI ranked.
The role of the journal Editor
Emerald is seeking to recruit an engaged and enthusiastic Editor or Editors to develop the journal. The journal Editor/s will be responsible for the following:
- Managing the journal's double blind peer review process with the assistance of the Editorial Advisory Board
- Selecting and maintaining a pool of competent reviewers
- Delivering appropriate content for six journal issues per volume to an agreed schedule
- Upholding and developing editorial standards on the journal, through the good management of the peer review process
- Engaging the Editorial Advisory Board in the work of the journal
- Developing and maintaining a network of contacts to act as advocates for the journal or sources of content as appropriate
- Attending conferences or similar events to promote the journal and generate submissions
- Working with the journal Publisher (at Emerald) to achieve agreed development objectives for the journal and to raise its international profile and standing
Emerald is looking for the new Editor to outline a position for the journal in terms of scope and coverage to further distinguish it from competitor journals, both Emerald and non-Emerald journals, to create a unique outlet in the field of LIS journals for authors and readers.
Qualifications and requirements of candidates
Some of the key qualities sought for the position of Editor are:
- An established record of scholarship in the field of library, information science or digital technology
- Managerial skills to oversee the editorial cycle and to meet deadlines
- The ability to inspire an active Editorial Advisory Board
- Energy, enthusiasm and networking skills to promote the journal and to encourage submissions
- A willingness to chase reviewers when necessary and to demand the highest standards in review and revision
- A willingness to develop the journal in line with the changing nature of the subject area, to ensure the journal continues to publish the best, most relevant and cutting-edge research in the field
- Previous editorial experience, such as Editor, Guest Editor or Editorial Advisory Board Member on an academic journal
- Experience of using online submission and peer review systems such as ScholarOne Manuscripts is desirable
Interested individuals are invited to submit a CV and a proposal outlining how they would seek to develop the journal over the course of their editorship. Proposals from individuals or a team of two candidates will be considered. It is anticipated that the new Editor will start work on the journal in November 2012.
Your application should include:
- A covering letter describing:
- your goals and plans for the content of The Electronic Library. This may include an assessment of the current strengths, weaknesses, or gaps that you plan to address;
- a description of how you would position the journal in terms of scope and coverage to distinguish the journal from others in the field and to identify a unique outlet for prospective authors and readers
- previous editorial experience;
- attendance at library and information science conferences during the last five years;
- a clear description of the structure of the editorial team and responsibilities, where it is a team application;
- support, if any, offered by your institution.
- A current CV
Emerald Group Publishing Limited
Please also direct any queries you may have to Ruth Glasspool, Publisher:firstname.lastname@example.org