Divisive pay gaps, limited pre-professional opportunities, lack of diversity, inadequate representation on curricular decisions, rising tuition and fees. This is a selection of issues in LIS education today. The 2015 Symposium on LIS Education invites students to collaboratively confront the changing power structures that impact our community and shape our profession.The 2015 Symposium on LIS Education is a two day student-led event, facilitated by LIS students, for LIS students.
The Symposium will bring students together to develop solutions to current challenges facing LIS education today by providing a space for productive and collaborative discussion. This is a unique opportunity for LIS student voices to be heard regarding the changing landscape of LIS education across institutions. We encourage LIS students to collectively engage in this process by:
- attending the *free* 2015 Symposium on LIS Education on April 10-11, 2015 in Champaign, IL
- joining the discussion via social media, and this website, in the months leading up to the Symposium
- submitting a symposium proposal (an in-person or virtual presentation) on your LIS education research
- having these discussions at your institutions!
- contacting the planning committee with ideas, suggestions, comments, and questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope that you will join us in this important discussion of the future of library and information science education and its professionals.