World Library and Information Congress: 80th IFLA General Conference and Assembly
"Libraries, Citizens, Societies: Confluence for Knowledge"
Open Session for the Classification & Indexing, Cataloguing, and Bibliography Sections and the UNIMARC Core Activity
Call for Papers
"Universal Bibliographic Control in the Digital Age: Golden Opportunity or Paradise Lost?"
Three sections and programmes of the Library Services Division will be organizing a joint open session of 5 hours (2 sessions) during the 2014 conference in Lyon. We are seeking papers addressing a variety of topics such as:
* Universal bibliographic control
* Cataloguing/classification issues
* Subject access
* Authority data
* Formats, tools and standards (e.g. RDA, ISBD, UNIMARC)
* Use and reuse of metadata (e.g. opening our data to other communities and our reuse of the data from outside sources)
* Chain of supply in the creation of metadata
- Deadline for submitting 500 word proposals for papers and presentations, plus a brief biographical statement of speaker(s).
- Successful proposals will be identified and information sent to all who submit proposals.
- Deadline for submission of final paper or substantial abstract. Deadline for authors to return Authors Form. Papers should be no more than 6000 words and can be submitted in English or French. Attempts will be made to provide translations into other official languages.
- Deadline for all PowerPoint presentations from Speakers.
June/July 2014 - All speakers will be notified of the time of the program.
* Proposal abstracts should be submitted in English as a Microsoft Office Word file
* Proposal abstracts for the Open Session must be in English and should clearly include:
o Title of proposed presentation
o Abstract of proposed paper (at least 500 words)
o Name(s) of presenter(s) plus position and/or title
o Statement as to how the proposal fits within the conference theme
o Employer / affiliated institution
o Contact information including e-mail address, telephone number
o Short biographical statement of presenter(s)
o Language of presentation
All submissions and any questions should be sent to be sent via eMail to John DeSantis (firstname.lastname@example.org) by . The receipt of all submissions will be acknowledged.
At least one author will be expected to attend conference to deliver the paper. The length of the presentations should be approximately 15 minutes plus 5 minutes for questions/discussion.
Proposals will be reviewed by a sub-committee of members from all four of the Standing Committees which are organizing the open session.
All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation can be issued to authors.