Conference website: https://www.iassist2019.org/
Conference hashtag: #IASSIST19
The 45th annual conference of the International Association for Social Science Information Services and Technology (IASSIST<http://iassistdata.or
Data Down Under: Exploring “Data Firsts”
This IASSIST conference is about a lot of “firsts.” This is the first time the IASSIST conference has been hosted in the Southern Hemisphere, and it’s the first to be held in Winter since the very first one in February 1977. Why not share with us your “firsts”? What new and novel projects are you working on? What worked or didn’t work on your first attempt, and what have you learned from that experience?
However, there are a lot of ways to explore “data firsts.” As data professionals, we also put data first; however, in today’s climate, where increasing amounts of misinformation are being widely spread via the internet and social media without facts and data to back it up, not everyone shares our values. So how can we educate and advocate to bring “data first” back into the minds of our students, researchers, funders, etc.? How do we share our love of data and its importance as a valuable asset to a library collection or archive?
We welcome submissions that share ways in which our IASSIST community is putting “data first” and experiencing “firsts.” Some examples could be your experiences:
- Addressing issues around data policies, privacy, and ethics
- Advocating the importance of archiving and preserving data in a climate of misinformation
- Analyzing and visualizing data in new and novel ways to gain original insights into data
- Data as numbers, pictures, words, and sounds
- Exploring data across subject areas and geographic regions
- Partnering with researchers and data producers to enhance sharing, reproducibility and long term access
- Promoting data as valuable assets to a library or archive collection
- Strategic collaborations to put data first
- Teaching data literacy skills, emphasizing the value of a solid foundation, where facts and data support an argument
So please send us your “data firsts”!
Submitting Proposals - DEADLINE: November 1, 2018
We welcome submissions for papers, presentations, panels, posters, and lightning talks.
The Call for Presentations, along with the link to the submission form, is on the conference website:
Questions about presentation submissions may be sent to the Program Co-Chairs (Bobray Bordelon, Ashley Jester, and Kelly Schultz) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are also accepting submissions for Pre-conference Workshops. The Call for Workshops, along with the link to the submission form, is at:
Questions about workshop submissions may be sent to the Workshop Coordinators, Eimmy Solis and Stephanie Labou, at email@example.com
Deadline for ALL submissions: November 1, 2018
Notification of acceptance: Mid-December 2018
Support for Attending Conference
IASSIST Fellows Program supports data professionals from underrepresented regions and countries with emerging economies. IASSIST Early Professional Fellows Program helps early career data professionals recognizing the value of innovative ideas. Applications can be made at https://goo.gl/forms/yttyvLUet
Address questions about the Fellows Programs to Florio Arguillas (firstname.lastname@example.org).