- Provide interactive hands-on trainings, workshops, and skillbuilding for attendees;
- Challenge traditional library, archive, and museum structures, institutions, and organizations;
- Consider the role of librarians, archivists, and curators in strengthening the knowledge, culture, and collective memory of communities impacted by social and economic disparity and state-sanctioned violence;
- Address racism, sexism, white supremacy, homophobia, transphobia, and issues of inclusion in libraries, archives, or museums;
- Sessions led by or centered around the voices of women, LGBTQ+ individuals, people of color, and members of nondominant communities.
Saturday, February 10, 2018
CFP: Radical Libraries, Archives & Museums as 2018 Allied Media Conference (Detroit, Michigan June 2018)
2018 Allied Media Conference
Radical Libraries, Archives, + Museums
June 14-17, 2018, in Detroit, Michigan
Libraries, archives, and museums do media-based work that educates, informs, and creates bridges to culture and technology. The Radical Libraries, Archives, + Museums (RadLAM) track will address a broad range of media-based organizing themes: envisioning libraries, archives, and museums as centers supporting movements for social equity; providing information and cultural heritage; and serving as places to explore how to use art, media, and technology for social transformation.
Coordinators of this track are: Amanda Seppala, Bekezela Mguni, Celeste Â-Re, Irina Rogova, Jessea Young, Laurel Johnson, Linda Nguyễn, Nakenya Lewis-Yarbrough, Porchia Moore, Shoshanna Wechter, Sine Hwang Jensen, Tess Wilson, Veronica Leigh Milliner, Wit Lopez.
We welcome proposals for sessions that will be accessible to participants of all professional backgrounds, and interpret the work of libraries, archives, and museums through the lens of media-based organizing. In previous years we have covered a range of subjects such as restorative justice practices in teen librarianship, community archives that center the narratives of people of color, and anti-racist pedagogy for museum education.
We are especially interested in sessions that:
Beyond the themes outlined above, if the idea of Radical Libraries, Archives, + Museums resonates with you, we’d love to hear from you! The deadline to submit proposals is . Submit proposals on the Allied Media website form: https://www.alliedmedia.org/