CFP: Women, Information and Libraries Special Interest Group and Women’s Information Network EuropeIFLA Women, Information and Libraries Special Interest Group (WIL) in cooperation with Women's Information Network Europe (WINE) invites colleagues to submit proposals for its satellite conference to be held at University of Tampere, Finland, 8th to 10th August 2012.
How can libraries and information centres improve accessibility to women's information and preserve women's cultural heritage?
Scope / Objectives of the Conference
The Conference aims to discuss:
- the ways libraries and information centres provide access to women and gender information
- the ways they preserve women's cultural heritage
- the role of libraries and information centres in the internet era
1) Collection strategies
- Collection strategies of mainstream and women's libraries regarding women and gender information
- Whose histories are we collecting, and for whom are we collecting them?
- New directions: How do we shape our collections so that they serve future generations?
- Libraries and archives as knowledge producers
- Oral history projects
- How to collect the memories of migrant or refugee women?
- Tools to promote access to and enable exchange of women's or gender information
- Thesauri, anthologies or tags?
- Gender mainstreaming classification schemes?
- Good practices in providing access to women's or gender information
- The changing function of libraries in the Internet Era
- How to deal with the new media: challenge or threat?
- The digital gap, gender and development
- Developing digital libraries
- Join social networks?
Proposals to be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org including:
- Title of the paper
- Abstract of approximately 150 words, summarising the paper
- Speaker's name, professional affiliation, postal address, email address and brief biographical note.
Conference presentations will be made in English. They will be no longer than 20 minutes, with extra time for discussion at the end of the session.
All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel and accommodation are the responsibility of the presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA.
Letters of invitation can be issued to presenters upon request.
First-time presenters and new professionals are especially encouraged to apply.
6th January 2012: Submission of abstracts
30th January 2012: Notification of acceptance
Convener, Women, Information and Libraries Special Interest Group