To all Librarians, Entrepreneurs, and Innovators:
We seek pioneers, adventurers and inventors to tell their stories. The libraries of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and Wake Forest University are organizing a conference entitled, "Inspiration, Innovation, Celebration: an Entrepreneurial Conference for Librarians".
We strive to provide a forum for you to share your path to change.
Conference dates: June 3rd and 4th, 2009 in the Elliott University Center on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
The mission for this conference is threefold:
1) To share and celebrate entrepreneurial accomplishments in libraries
2) To inspire each other to innovate in our libraries
3) To create a community of interested librarians who will perpetuate the discussion beyond the conference
Entrepreneurial activity may have taken place in areas such as: instruction, services, processes, facilities or resources, but this list is not exhaustive. We're interested in hearing about your process and the successful presentation could include the following:
* Identification of an unmet need or development of an innovative approach that extends the scope of service
* A non-traditional approach to fulfilling our mission as libraries
* A description of how a solution was designed and implemented including any obstacles that were encountered (financial, structural, human...)
* A discussion of lessons learned or what you would do differently next time and the project's current status
* A description of the keys to success
* A tone that inspires us all to become more entrepreneurial in our libraries, however small the project
* Sessions should be one hour in length to include 45 minute presentation with 15 minutes for Q&A.
* We will accept panel discussions
* If interested, submit a letter of intent - a one paragraph description of your presentation - immediately. Those who submit a letter of intent by September 1st will receive priority consideration.
* Please submit your final proposal by 5:00 pm on Monday 1 November 2008; it should include a detailed outline of the presentation with a textual description of the entrepreneurial project.
* Photos, drawings or other multi-media aids are welcome; display space will be available at the conference.
* Invitations to present will be delivered by mid-December
* Send your submission to:
Dean of University Libraries
The University of North Carolina - Greensboro
P.O. Box 26170
Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
Phone: (336) 334-3418
Fax: (336) 334-5399
Conference Steering Committee: Rosann Bazirjian, Wanda Brown, Michael
Crumpton, Mary Krautter, Mary Beth Lock, Barry Miller, Mary Scanlon
Mary G. Scanlon, MBA, MLIS
Librarian, Research & Instruction for Business & Economics
Z. Smith Reynolds Library
Wake Forest University