Tuesday, September 17, 2019
CFP: The Community College Library: Assessment (@ALA_ACRL)
Call for Proposals
We are soliciting chapter proposals for our forthcoming ACRL book, The Community College Library: Assessment with an anticipated publication date of Fall 2021. With 1,167 public and independent community colleges across the United States, community colleges are educating nearly half of the undergraduates in the nation. Community colleges serve a unique student population including high school students, first-generation students, parents, veterans, homeless students, returning students, those looking to transfer to a four-year university, those seeking technical vocational skills, and many more. This series aims to highlight the work, dedication, challenges, and innovation occurring in community college libraries across the country.
Focus of the Book:
This edited volume will present chapters written by community college librarians leading assessment efforts across the United States. Assessment is necessary for understanding and demonstrating the library’s impact on student success. For community college libraries, assessment of Student Learning Outcomes or Service Unit Outcomes are also necessary for activities like program review and accreditation. This book will compile examples of practical, effective strategies and projects for community college library assessment activities.
· Developing an assessment plan
· Writing effective program reviews or self-evaluations
· Assessment of Student Learning Outcomes or Service Unit Outcomes
· Instructional assessment (one-shot, credit, or non-credit bearing)
· Library services and resources assessment
· Assessment projects (Re-writing SLO/SUOs, data visualization, etc.)
· Using assessment tools
Don’t see an assessment topic here that you would like to write about? That’s okay! We want you to submit your proposal! If you have any questions contact the editors at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how your idea may fit within this book’s scope.
Interested authors are invited to submit a proposal and fill out the short online proposal form. The form will require:
· Author names, job titles, and institutional affiliations
· A working chapter title
· An abstract up to 500 words
· A current CV
Proposals are due by November 15, 2019 and must be submitted via online form: https://sites.google.com/view/thecclibrary/
· Contributors will be notified of their status (acceptance or rejection) by January 5, 2020
· Completed chapters will be approximately 2,500 - 4,000 words in length excluding endnotes and bibliography.
● The first draft of chapters will be due May 30, 2020 and final draft on August 18, 2020
● Projected publication date: Fall 2021
Contact us at: email@example.com
Kaela Casey, Librarian, Ventura College
Janet Pinkley, Head of Access Services, CSU Channel Islands, and Adjunct Librarian, Ventura College