Thursday, December 14, 2017
CFP: 2018 Acquisitions Institute at Timberline Lodge (May 2018 - Mt. Hood, Oregon)
2018 Acquisitions Institute at Timberline Lodge
One hour east of Portland, Oregon on the slope of Mt. Hood
Call for Proposals
WHAT IS The Acquisitions Institute?
· Since 2000, the pre-eminent conference located in Western North America on acquisitions and collection development held at Timberline Lodge.
· A three-day conference focusing on the methods and innovation of building and managing library collections to be held .
· A small (no more than 85 attendees), informal and stimulating gathering in a convivial and glorious Pacific Northwest setting.
WHAT TOPICS are we looking for?
The planning committee is open to presentations on all aspects of library acquisitions and collection management. Presenters are encouraged to engage the audience in discussion. Panel discussions are well received. We may wish to bring individual proposals together to form panels.
Topics we and/or last year's attendees think would be great include:
· Diversity, inclusion and social justice in acquisitions and collections (e.g., hiring practices, developing / promoting staff from within, how we as libraries can influence what gets published in terms of diversity, etc.)
· Evaluating your existing collections for diversity
· Staffing, training and development, and recruiting issues, challenges, successes (e.g., onboarding new acquisitions and/or collections staff)
· Negotiation skills and how to use them
· Ethics in acquisitions
· Vendor and publisher evaluation, including business skills to determine financial viability
· Using data visualization techniques to tell our stories (e.g., budget, collections, staff successes, etc.) Assessment tools, methods, and projects (e.g., linking collections with learning outcomes; usage studies)
· Impacts of Open Access and Open Repositories on acquisitions and collection development
· Data curation, including Big Data, and management and other new roles for subject and technical services librarians
· Small academic library or public library perspectives in acquisitions and collection development
· Print today: what are the collection management issues?
· Trends and issues in licensing
· Collection development beyond DDA/PDA, approval plans, etc.
The DEADLINE for submitting a proposal is .
Submission proposal form: http://acquisitionsinstitute.
Mon 9/18/17: Call for proposals announced
: Proposals due
: Review of proposals complete, and presenters notified
: Presenters confirm commitment to present
: Registration opens
______________________________ ______________________________ _______
The Acquisitions Institute at Timberline Lodge Planning Committee is
Lindsay Cronk, University of Rochester;
Kristina DeShazo, Oregon Health & Science University;
Stacey Devine, Library of Congress;
Kerri Goergen-Doll, Oregon State University;
Kim Maxwell, MIT;
Nancy Slight-Gibney, University of Oregon; and
Scott Alan Smith, Librarian at Large