The Acquisitions Institute at Timberline Lodge
Join us in 2015 with our Keynote Speaker, Courtney Young, President, ALA
Timberline Lodge - One hour east of Portland, Oregon on the slope of Mt. Hood
Call for Papers
WHAT IS The Acquisitions Institute?
* Since 2000, the pre-eminent conference located in Western North America on acquisitions and collection development held at Timberline Lodge.
* A three-day conference focusing on the methods and madness of building and
managing library collections to be held .
* A small, informal and stimulating gathering in a convivial and glorious Northwestern setting.
Visit the Acquisitions Institute home page at: http://www.
WHAT TOPICS are we looking for?
The planning committee is open to presentations on all aspects of library acquisitions and collection management. Presenters are encouraged to engage the audience in discussion. Panel discussions are well received. The planning committee may wish to bring individual
proposals together to form panels.
The committee is especially looking for submissions on the following topics:
- All aspects of managing and directing acquisitions and/or collection development operations
- Acquisitions functions in open source catalogs, integrated or unified library systems, etc.
- Evolving consortial roles in collection development and acquisitions
- Staffing, training and development, and recruiting issues, challenges, successes
- The future of scholarly communication--its impact on acquisitions and collection development
- Data curation and management and other new roles for subject librarians and technical services specialists
- The development and management of digital collections, electronic resources
- Cloud applications and implementation in collection services
- Streaming content, and other user-centered collection services
- The impact of discovery services on collection and content access and usage
- External and internal factors driving a library's collection management decisions
- Assessment tools, methods, and projects-- (i.e., linking collections with learning outcomes; usage studies)
- Return on investment studies—how do we demonstrate our impact?
- Acquisitions and collection development: the small academic library or public library perspective
- The future of print: what are the collection management issues?
To submit a proposal, send an abstract of 200 words or less to:
The Acquisitions Institute at Timberline Lodge planning committee:
Kristina DeShazo, Oregon Health & Science University;
Stacey Devine, Northwestern University;
Nancy Slight-Gibney, University of Oregon; and
Scott Alan Smith, Langlois Public Library