Supporting Core Values in Academic and Research Librarianship
The Greater New York Chapter of the Association of College and Research Libraries 2015 Symposium
Friday, December 4, 2015
The 2015 ACRL/NY Annual Symposium will use four of ALA's Core Values of Librarianship as a framework from which to pose questions. What does "social responsibility" mean for academic librarians? How diverse are our libraries and archives, and how democratic do we want them to be? How does supporting lifelong learning and information literacy differ for academic libraries of differing sizes, populations, and missions? How can we make time to grow professionally, given our multiple roles and budget challenges? These and other questions will be explored by noted speakers and panelists. For further information about the symposium, visit http://acrlnysymp2015.wordpress.com/
ACRL/NY invites you to submit a poster session proposal for the 2015 Symposium. Poster sessions can address any of the core values: access, confidentiality and privacy, democracy, diversity, education and lifelong learning, intellectual freedom, the public good, preservation, professionalism, service, and social responsibility. Examples of potential topics include, but are not limited to:
* Providing access for underserved users
* Fostering lifelong learning in our communities
* Examining professionalism and changes to the profession
* Meeting the needs of diverse populations
* Resisting censorship in academic and research libraries
* Defining and striving towards "the public good"
* Protecting patron privacy in a time of surveillance
* Creating diverse workplaces and learning environments
Please submit your proposal using the online form at https://acrlnysymp2015.wordpress.com/posters/
The deadline for submission is Friday, September 4, 2015.
Accepted posters will be notified by Wednesday, September 30, 2015.
For some helpful poster pointers, check the "poster presentations" tab on the LibGuide at http://stjohns.campusguides.com/researchpresentation
The Symposium will take place on Friday, December 4, 2015 in New York City at:
The William and Anita Newman Vertical Campus Conference Center, Baruch College, 55 Lexington Avenue (at 24th Street) Room 14-220 (14th floor)
For further information, contact:
- Starr Hoffman, 2015 Symposium Chair
- Gina Levitan, 2015 Symposium Co-Chair